Biohazard Emergency Tips for Your Business
Biohazard contaminants should be considered very dangerous as they can pose a serious health risk to you, your staff, and your customers. Sewer backups and flood water are two common biohazard scenarios that can affect businesses. SERVPRO of Shiawassee / West Saginaw Counties has the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment necessary to safely clean and restore this type of contamination to get your business back up and running!
After any biohazard or sewage contamination in your business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in your business?
- Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences.
- Flood water can contain sewage, pesticides, and other contaminants.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
What to Do After a Contamination
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
What Not to Do After a Contamination
- Do not leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Do not leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Do not use your vacuum or other appliances to remove water.
- Do not use television or other appliances.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
We Are Here to Help 24/7
Biohazards like flood water or sewer backups should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. SERVPRO of Shiawassee / West Saginaw Counties has water damage restoration specialists and has specific training and expertise to safely remediate biohazard contaminants.